Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The North Wind

The North Wind
A scene from the fairy tale East of the Sun and West of the Moon. Here the lassie meets the fiercest of the winds, on her quest to find her beloved.

"So when they got to the North Wind's house, he was so wild and cross, cold puffs came from him a long way off.
'BLAST YOU BOTH, WHAT DO YOU WANT?' he roared out to them ever so far off, so that it struck them with an icy shiver." -East of the Sun and West of the Moon


This was my first project for my Illustration Techniques class (Spring 2014). We got to choose our own projects for that class, so that was really exciting. I decided to do a couple of illustrations from East of the Sun and West of the Moon, since I've already been working on a retelling of the fairy tale, before moving on to other subjects for my third and fourth projects.

I drew this in pen & ink and then painted it with watercolor before going back in with more of the inks. I would really like to go a little bolder with the watercolor and maybe add some acrylic to tone the linework down in the places where it got overworked.


The pen & ink drawing:

I was a little sad to start covering up the linework with watercolor, honestly...for parts of it, at least! The background wind in the middle is a complete mess. But I had fun with the North Wind's face and, um, hair?
I was very much inspired by Arthur Rackham's art with this project, especially with the inking. I saw his painting of Titania and Oberon at the Cleveland Museum earlier that spring and had barely restrained myself from pressing my nose up to the glass to drool over his sweeping line work. I am a fangirl, at heart.
Arthur Rackham, from A Midsummer Night's Dream
Sorry I couldn't find a higher quality image of the painting. But just look at those pretty, swoopy clouds! I've been a fan of Arthur Rackham for a long time now, but that was his first painting I saw in person.

I have a lot more of my work on East of the Sun and West of the Moon posted on my Facebook page as well as on Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment