Saturday, December 28, 2013

Fairy Tale Wood


Wow, I really haven't posted on here in a while! I've been devoting most of my energy blog-wise to my Tumblr, also Kelsey Paige Art, so if you're interested, that has a lot more posted. But I'll try and play catch-up on here. While I can.
I had my first semester of college over fall (except for a couple of online courses over summer), and spring semester will be starting up (too) soon. I'm excited; I'm set to take a few different digital art-related classes, as well as one for painting, and another for printmaking. Eep! (The process of printmaking fascinates me anyway, considering the method in which book illustrations used to be published, and also considering the beautiful woodblock prints out there--Walter Crane's, for example. He's one of my favorites.) But with all that going on, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get done on here. At least I will (hopefully) be creating lots of new stuff to eventually post.

Anyhoo. Here's an illustration I did back in July. I actually started this one while we were driving in the car. My sister got married in Oregon, which is a three-day drive for us both ways. So, I was in need of some entertainment. I sketched it roughly in with pencil, then went back over that with the pen & ink, and once we got home, I put watercolor overtop of that.
Fairy Tale Wood. July 2013. Pen & ink and watercolor.
I had a lot of fun with this one. This is exactly the sort of fairy tale-esque illustration style I love to use. I used to doodle up fantasy drawings like this all the time, but (I don’t know why) I’d abandoned the practice of late. I’m definitely starting to get back into it.
The subject is one of many snippets of stories I’ve had sitting around in my head for a long time but haven’t expanded on yet. Someday I would love to write them all up in a collection and illustrate them.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure I can put into words how much I love this one ...! How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete