Friday, September 2, 2011

My Brand of Craziness

I'm frantically at work on entries for the fair...but in the meantime, here's one of my entries from last year. I drew initial drawing with graphite pencil.


After starting this, I realized it was too small, not even filling a 9" x 12" page, so I did another using black and white charcoal on 11" x 17" charcoal paper (I cropped it to a smaller size). Although I used some vine charcoal while initially sketching it in, I mostly used charcoal pencils for the details.



Charcoal is a fairly forgiving medium--well suited for a project like this, which required quite a bit of erasing. I loved mixing the blacks and the whites with the medium tone of the paper. The stairs were a fun and sometimes frustrating challenge...and the hard work paid off with a first-place ribbon!

No comments:

Post a Comment