Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Best of Show for the Wayne County Fair 2010, and a bit of the drawing process

I entered this in the Wayne County Fair for fall 2010, and it received Best of Show for grades 9-12. It was painted with watercolor and pen & ink on watercolor paper, using a photo I took in Florida as reference.

I started off by blocking in the details in using pencil.


After that, I went over the pencil drawing with the pen & ink. 


And then I gradually added the watercolor. 



Here are some details: 


When it comes to drawing something I find tedious (or that I expect to find tedious), I tend to ease my way into it. I'll avoid the problem, or skirt around the edges and work my way in. I also like to jump to a different area after a while; it helps keep me energized about the project.


The biggest challenge for this project was the background. The ship masts and houses were hazy and backlit by the sunset, and it was hard to tell where one thing ended and another began.

My reference photo
The finished result

No comments:

Post a Comment